Quick Pot Pie
It depends on what kind of pie crust you want to use, how quickly it gets done, but I included my favorite scratch crust and it takes a little longer to bake, but it is worth the effort and very flaky (like me).
If you want beef pot pie, use left over roast or any cooked beef and change the spices to 1/2 t each garlic tarragon and rosemary, 1 sm bay leaf, s/p to taste and change the stock to beef. Omit the poultry seasoning.
For turkey, just substitute turkey and continue on.
- 1 can(s)
- chicken meat
- 16 oz
- frozen vegetables
- 1 each small
- onion and potato diced into 1/2 in pieces
- 1 tsp
- poultry seasoning
- 16 oz
- poultry stock, or chicken base to make 2 cups,
- flour or cornstarch to thicken
- pie crusts (one for top and one for bottom)
How to Make Quick Pot Pie
- 1Combine mixed vegetables, chicken, stock, potato, poultry seasoning and onion in large sauce pan. Mix together and bring to a boil. Mix flour or cornstarch into a thin paste with water and add to mixture to desired thickness.
- 2If using frozen pie shells, pour mix in bottom shell, then tip shell from other pan onto top of bottom shell and filling. Crimp,vent the crust and bake until golden brown-45 min to an hr at 350 deg. Serves 8
If using pre-rolled place one crust into a 9" deep, dish, spray greased pie pan. Add chicken filling. Lay second crust on top of the bottom crust and filling, crimp, vent the crust and bake at 350 deg 45 min or until golden brown.
OR USE this crust:
3 c flour
1 1/3 c shortening
1 1/2 t salt
1 T sugar
1/3 + 1 T water
1 whole egg
1 T vinegar
Mix dry ingredients together. Cut in the shortening until the mixture looks like lumpy oatmeal. Add all the liquid ingredients including the egg and mix well until it sticks together.
Divide into 3 balls-makes 3 crusts
Roll out on floured surface to make 2 shells. Place one in the bottom of spray greased,9" deep dish pie pan. Add filling and place second crust on top of filling and other crust. Crimp and vent crust. Bake 425 deg for 10 min then lower the temperature to 350 deg and bake another 30-35 min or until golden brown. (This last step ensures the bottom crust gets done as well as the top on a homemade pie crust).