Quick Chicken and Cheese Tamales
- 2 c
- masa harina
- 1 tsp
- baking powder
- 1 1/4 tsp
- kosher salt
- 1/2 c
- solid vegetable shortening
- 1/2 c
- low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 1/2 c
- shredded chicken (leftover rotisserie)
- 1/4 lb
- sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 c
- chopped cilantro
- scallions, finely chopped
- hot sauce, for serving
- 1 1/2 c
How to Make Quick Chicken and Cheese Tamales
- 1In a food processor, pulse the masa harina with the baking powder and salt. Add the 1 1/2 cups of water and pulse to moisten the masa harina.
- 2Add the vegetable shortening in clumps and drizzle with the chicken stock. Process until smooth and evenly blended, scraping the side of the bowl occasionally. Transfer the dough to a large bowl and stir in the shredded chicken, shredded cheese, chopped cilantro and the scallions.
- 3Tear twelve 12" square sheets of plastic wrap.
Working with 6 at a time, spoon a scant 1/2 cup of the tamale mixture onto the center of each sheet. With lightly moistened hands, press the tamales into 4-by-2-inch rectangles, about 1/2" thick. Fold up the squares of plastic around the tamales, twist the ends securely and then fold the edges under to make packets. Repeat to form the remaining tamales.
- 4Arrange the tamales seam side down tn the bottom of a large bamboo or other steamer. Steam over 2" of boiling water for 25 minutes. Let the tamales cool slightly, then carefully transfer them to a large platter. Cut the ends of the plastic-wrapped packets and slide the tamales out onto the platter. Serve with the hot sauce.
- 5MAKE AHEAD: The tamales can be prepared through Step 3 and refrigerated up to 2 days.