Quick Chicken and Cheese Tamales
2 cmasa harina
1 tspbaking powder
1 1/4 tspkosher salt
1/2 csolid vegetable shortening
1/2 clow-sodium chicken broth
2 1/2 cshredded chicken (leftover rotisserie)
1/4 lbsharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 cchopped cilantro
2scallions, finely chopped
·hot sauce, for serving
1 1/2 cwater
How to Make Quick Chicken and Cheese Tamales
- In a food processor, pulse the masa harina with the baking powder and salt. Add the 1 1/2 cups of water and pulse to moisten the masa harina.
- Add the vegetable shortening in clumps and drizzle with the chicken stock. Process until smooth and evenly blended, scraping the side of the bowl occasionally. Transfer the dough to a large bowl and stir in the shredded chicken, shredded cheese, chopped cilantro and the scallions.
- Tear twelve 12" square sheets of plastic wrap.
Working with 6 at a time, spoon a scant 1/2 cup of the tamale mixture onto the center of each sheet. With lightly moistened hands, press the tamales into 4-by-2-inch rectangles, about 1/2" thick. Fold up the squares of plastic around the tamales, twist the ends securely and then fold the edges under to make packets. Repeat to form the remaining tamales.
- Arrange the tamales seam side down tn the bottom of a large bamboo or other steamer. Steam over 2" of boiling water for 25 minutes. Let the tamales cool slightly, then carefully transfer them to a large platter. Cut the ends of the plastic-wrapped packets and slide the tamales out onto the platter. Serve with the hot sauce.
- MAKE AHEAD: The tamales can be prepared through Step 3 and refrigerated up to 2 days.