Pressure Cooker Chicken Stew w/Smashed Potatoes
2 1/2-3 lbboneless skinless chicken breast(or tenders) cut in bite size pieces
2 Tbspolive oil
1 1/2 csliced carrots
1 1/2 csliced celery
1 cfinely chopped onion
3 lbpotatoes(1 1/2 in. cubes), peeled if desired; i leave peels on for a more
2 cchicken broth
1 1/2 cshredded cheddar cheese(or cheese of choice)
·salt and pepper to taste
·parsley for garnish
How to Make Pressure Cooker Chicken Stew w/Smashed Potatoes
- Heat olive oil in bottom of pressure cooker over med.-high heat. Add chicken, salt and pepper to taste and lightly brown on all sides(work in batches if necessary to avoid overcrowding the pan.) Remove with a slotted spoon.
- Add carrots, celery and onion to remaining oil and cook and stir for 3-4 min.
- Put the potatoes on top of the veggies and pour the chicken broth over all. Salt and pepper the potatoes.
- Put the lid on the pressure cooker and bring up to high pressure. Cook for 10 min., then quick-release pressure and remove lid. Place the chicken on top of the potatoes, dot with the 2T of butter and replace lid. Bring back up to pressure and cook 15 min. more. Release pressure and remove chicken to a serving bowl. Carefully remove the potatoes with a slotted spoon into another bowl(you may get a few pieces of the other veggies, too..that's ok.)
- (At this point if you want to thicken your broth into a gravy, do that with flour or cornstarch or whatever you use, heating until desired thickness). Return chicken to broth and veggies and stir to combine.
- Add the cheese to the potatoes and coarsely mash with a potato masher or hand held mixer. (you want some texture here, not whipped potatoes)
- Ladle some stew into a bowl, top with a mound of the potatoes and sprinkle with parsley.