- chicken parts thighs,drum sticks what ever amount suites you i figure 2 pieces a person
- 2- 28 oz
- cans diced tomatoes
- 1 or 2 large onion
- ground red pepper flakes or ground red pepper
- ground anise. a.k.a aniseed
- assafroa (pure safflower) optional
- 2 c
- white rice or basmati rice
How to Make Portugese Chicken and Rice
- 1Put enough Crisco in pot (to be able to Sauté chopped onion and chicken) with the Crisco put chopped onion, ground red pepper or red pepper flakes to taste, about 1/4 Table Spoon to 1/ 2 Tablespoon ground aniseed, about 1teaspoon assafroa, now sauté onion with these spices until transparent and very tender.
- 2Put chicken pieces in the pot with the onion and spices and brown the chicken, you have to stir the chicken so all sides get color and cook a little.
- 3Add 2-28oz can of diced tomatoes and stew your chicken until it pretty much falls off the bone.
When done with this step take chicken out put on a plate.
This step you can taste your stew fluid to see what your rice will taste like you can add more spices at this point if you choose to.
- 4Add about 2 cups of white rice (my mum used white rice the store brand) or any kind you like (I like BOMBAY Basmati rice) and you have to eyeball how much rice will abosorb the fluid in pan, you are better off adding to much rice than not enough because you can add more water to the rice if needed, simmer until rice is done. Rice will not be a fluffy.
- 5Debone chicken and stir in to rice with enough salt to suite your taste.