POPEYE'S FRIED CHICKEN -- BONNIE'S
Photo by Jon Sullivan
- pounds cut up chicken for frying
- cups self-rising flour
- cup cornstarch
- tablespoons seasoned salt
- tablespoons paprika
- teaspoon baking soda
- package spaghetti sauce mix (1/2 oz)
- package dry italian salad dressing mix (1 1/2 oz)
- package onion soup mix (1/2 oz)
- tablespoons sugar
- cups corn flakes, crushed slightly
- eggs, well beaten
- cup cold water
How to Make POPEYE'S FRIED CHICKEN -- BONNIE'S
- 4Dip chicken pieces 1 piece at a time as follows:
Dip a piece into dry mixture, then into egg mixture, then into cornflake mixture, AND briskly briefly back into the dry mix. Drop the coated piece into the hot oil, skin side down and brown 3 to 4 minutes on medium high heat. Turn and brown other side of each piece. Don't crowd pieces while frying.
- 5Now place the pieces in prepared baking pan skin side up. Seal with foil on 3 sides only, leaaving 1 side loose for the steam to escape. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes removing the foil then to test tenderness of chicken.
Allow to bake UNCOVERED five minutes longer to crisp the coating. I advise using a meat thermometer as in some altitudes, it may take 50 minutes to get done.