Perfect Chicken Fried Chicken
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- beef cutlets, tenderized
- 1 1/2 c
- 1 Tbsp
- white vinegar
- 2 large
- 2 c
- all purpose flour
- 1 tsp
- poultry seasoning (for chicken only, omit if breading beef cutlet)
- 1 tsp
- sea salt
- 1 Tbsp
- coarse cracked black pepper
- 1/4 tsp
- cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbsp
- baking powder
- sleeve whole grain saltine crackers, well crushed
- vegetable oil - enough for frying
FOR CREAM GRAVY SEE BELOW!
How to Make Perfect Chicken Fried Chicken
- 1Rinse chicken in cold water and dry on paper towels.
- 2Using two bowls, in one bowl mix dry ingredients, flour, poultry seasoning (Chicken Only), salt, pepper, baking powder and crackers. In the other bowl whisk together the milk and vinegar until well blended. Add the eggs, one at a time and whisk until well blended.
- 3In a large, heavy skillet with a lid (if you don't have a lid - aluminum foil will substitute nicely), heat 1/2" of vegetable oil (I prefer Canola Oil) on a medium heat for at least 5 minutes before beginning to cook (do not heat your oil hotter or it will result in your crust browning too fast and undercooked meat).
- 4Dredge one piece of chicken or beef at time in flour mixture, then milk mixture and then flour mixture and then place in hot oil. I like to use tongs when placing the chicken or beef in the oil to avoid spatter burns from the oil! Cover your skillet!
- 5Unless you're using a very large skillet, cook no more than 3 pieces at a time so as to leave room between the pieces. Cook for 10 - 12 minutes on one side (your crust should be a nice golden brown) then turn and continue cooking on the other side for an additional 10 - 12 minutes making sure your crust is a nice golden brown. Depending on the thickness of your beef cutlets, cooking time may need to be a few minutes longer. You can test for doneness on the BEEF by pressing gentley with a fork in the center of the cutlet while cooking. If any red juices still rise, continue cooking until the juices are clear.
- 6Remove from skillet to a paper towel covered plate and keep warm in a 200 degree oven while preparing the rest of the chicken.
- 7Serve with mashed potatos and green beans for a down home country meal.
HINT: This is great with cream gravy! To make perfect cream gravy...Maintain a medium heat under your skillet. Pour off all but a thin layer of oil (about 4-6 TBLS.)from your skillet, leaving the crumbs in the skillet. Add 1/2 cup all purpose flour, 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper, 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (to your taste) and stir with a whisk, scraping the skillet until all of the oil is absorbed. Add 3 cups of milk and continue stirring constantly (to avoid lumps) until your gravy is nice and thick. Do not increase your heat as that would only result in scorching your gravy. Great cream gravy takes a little bit of patience :o)
IMPORTANT: Do Not Use the flour mixture you dredged the raw chicken in, discard that mixture after using!