Penny's Famous Fried Chicken
- 2 c
- all purpose flour
- 4-8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts or whole chicken cut into 8 pices
- eggs beaten
- 1 1/2 c
- crushed ritz crackers, or crispy panko
- 1/4 c
- 3 tsp
- mccormick original chicken seasoning
- 1 1/2 tsp
- paprika, sweet mild
- 1/2 tsp
- round black pepper
- 1/2 tsp
- sea salt
- 1 Tbsp
- 1 c
- peanut oil
- 1/4 tsp
- dry mustard
How to Make Penny's Famous Fried Chicken
- 1Wash chicken breasts, soak overnight in cold water with 1/2 tsp salt, in a covered dish in the refrigerator.
Drain water the next evening when ready to cook.
In a medium bowl, mix all dry ingredients, except crackers, till well blended.
In a separarte medium bowl, mix egs and water till frothy.
In another medium bowl add crushed ritz crackers, or panko.
Pat dry chicken breasts, and coat both sides in the egg mix.
Coat both sides of chicken in the flour mix, and recoat in egg mix. Then coat in the cracker/panko mix.
In large heavy skillet add peanut oil, on medum high heat, and brown both sides of chicken with lid off.
After browned on both sides about 5 minutes each, cover chicken, and lower heat to medium low. This keeps the juicyness of the chicken. Cook this way for about 40 minutes. The last 10 minutes, increase the heat to medium high again to make the chicken crispy, removing the lid the last 5 minutes.
- 2Serve with sour cream mashed potatoes, and a green veggetable of your choice. To make sour cream mashed potatoes, the night before, soak yhour peeled, and chunked potatoes in salted cold water, covered to keep from turning brown, in teh refrigerator. Drain and rinse the next evening, and place in medium to large pot, depending on family size, in cold water. Boil potatoes until fork goes through easily. Drain, add 1 stick of butter, and 8 ounces of sour cream instead of milk. Mash thoroughly, then use an electric beater to make creamy. Add 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper, chves, or your favorite garnish as you whip the potatoes to creamy consistency. We like steamed asparagus with this meal.