PEGGI'S OVEN ROASTED CHICKEN
Peggi Anne Tebben
Some may say, "That's so easy, why did she put that on here?". Not all women are natural born cooks to start with. Even something we think is simple, may not be to one just starting to cook. I hope this can help them to getting started. Something Simple!
To all of you seasoned cooks; try this also . The aroma of the seasonings on this in the oven after only being in there for 5 minutes, is breathtaking. I have used these 2 seasonings on chicken, pork, steamed veggies, you name it, for several years now, at home & in the restaurants. They are 2 of my "Go To" seasonings.
I hope you enjoy.
How to Make PEGGI'S OVEN ROASTED CHICKEN
- 1Preheat oven to 350°
- 2Spray 2 piece broiler pan with holes in it with the pan spray.
- 3Place chicken on it with skin side up. Spray chicken with pan spray also.
- 4Don't crowd chicken on pan unless you have a lot to cook. This may increase cooking time. Refer to picture.
- 5Sprinkle the garlic salt on chicken first, then the chicken seasoning. This matters. If you put the garlic salt on the outer most part of chicken; when the heat hits it for an extended period of time, it becomes gritty & sometimes has an unpleasant taste. Putting the chicken season over it protects it & allows it to seap into the juices of the skin. Spray with pan spray again.
- 6Place in center rack of oven & set your timer for 1 hour. Check it then. Mine takes 1 hour every time, but the first few times you make it, you will want to see how it does in your oven. You know it's done when you touch the leg/thigh portion & the skin gives & is not solid or firm. Skin should also be a golden brown & crisp. Dark meat takes longer to cook. Leg/thigh meat is dark meat.
RULE OF THUMB: On a chicken anything below the waist is dark meat (legs & thighs); anything above the waist is white meat (breasts, wish bone, wings). Wings can actually be considered either white or dark. (Worked at KFC)
- 7NOTE: To make BBQ chicken out of this, do as above & then spread on your favorite BBQ sauce & return to oven for another 20 minutes. Kraft BBQ sauce with Honey is good.