Norma's Turkey and Mushroom Casserole
3 to 4 cturkey, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 mediumonion or 3 shallots, sliced
8 ozbutton mushrooms, halved or quartered
1 can(s)(14 1/2 ounce) diced tomatoes, undrained
2 Tbspall purpose flour
1/2 tspdried thyme leaves
·cheese puff topping (recipe next)
1/4 c1/2 stick butter, cut up
1/2 call purpose flour
2 ozsharp cheddar cheese, diced (a little over 1/2 cup)
How to Make Norma's Turkey and Mushroom Casserole
- Preheat your oven to 400 for cheese puffs.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in large skillet over medium heat and add turkey and onions.
- Cook until onions are clear; about 3 minutes and add mushrooms. Cook and stir for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, flour and thyme and cook and stir until blended and bubbly.
- Lower heat and cover to keep warm.
- Cheese Puff Topping:
- Heat water, butter and salt in small saucepan over hight heat to a full rolling boil.
- Reduce heat and quickly stir in flour, mixing vigorously until mixture leaves sides of pan in a ball.
- Place flour mixture in mixer bowl with flat beater.
- Turn to speed 2 and add eggs, one at a time, mixing about 30 seconds after each addition.
- Stop and scrape bowl and turn mixer to speed 4 and beat about 15 seconds and add cheese.
- Turn mixer speed to sir and mix about 10 seconds and set aside.
- Pour the warm filling into a 2 quart casserole dish sprayed with non stick cooking spray.
- Spoon topping into 4 mounds on top of filling.
- Place in oven and bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until pastry is puffed and browned and filling is bubbly.
- Serve hot with your favorite salad.