Mrs G's (Gluten-Free) Easy Chicken Enchiladas Verdes
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- corn tortillas, soft
- 2 pkg
- pre-cooked roasted chicken strips, chopped (home cooked or pre-packaged)
- 1 box
- frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 12 oz
- pepper jack cheese, shredded
- 16 oz
- (divided) green (verde) enchilada sauce or salsa (pureed if chunky)
- 16 oz
- green (verde) enchilada sauce or salsa (pureed if chunky)
- 2 c
- mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 c
- fresh cilantro, chopped
How to Make Mrs G's (Gluten-Free) Easy Chicken Enchiladas Verdes
*Chop the chicken, place in large bowl
*Squeeze all liquid out of spinach, turn out on cutting board and mince, then separate with fingers into the chicken and mix in with fork.
*Shred Pepper Jack Cheese and mix into chicken/spinach mixture
*With fork, fold 1 1/4 cup of the enchilada sauce into the chicken cheese mixture. Set aside.
- 2Prepare a 13 x 9 inch glass casserole pan by spraying with cooking spray and then spread about 1 cup of the enchilada sauce on the bottom of the pan, you don't need a lot, but make sure there is a thin layer of sauce under the enchiladas
*Wrap tortillas in damp paper towel and microwave for 1/2 – 1 minute until warm and soft. Place ¼ cup of filling across center of a tortilla, roll and place seam side up in 9 x 13 glass casserole dish.
**Or, and this is what I do – corn tortillas hold up better in the casserole when you do this:
*Heat small skillet on medium high, for each tortilla, spray skillet with cooking spray and place 1 corn tortilla in the pan until lightly brown, flip and repeat. You have to work fast, remove the tortilla from the pan, place on a dish and cover with foil to keep hot. When all tortillas are hot and lightly browned, fill, wrap and place in casserole dish, repeat until all tortillas are filled and wrapped. Be careful, tortillas will be hot!
(If you do not have a microwave, and you do not want to heat the tortillas in a skillet, you can wrap the tortillas in damp paper towels, then wrap with foil and place in hot oven for about 10 min or until they are hot)
*After all tortillas are filled and placed in casserole, pour remaining sauce over the top, sprinkle the mozzarella cheese over everything and cover with foil. Place in 350 oven for 30-45 min or until the filling is hot and bubbly. Remove from oven, carefully uncover and let sit for about 10 min. Sprinkle the fresh cilantro over the top and serve with salad.
- 5NOTES: If you are not gluten or wheat intolerant, you may use fajita sized flour tortillas. You may also use a 32 oz can of Old El Paso Enchiladas Verdes Sauce, but it does contain wheat and soy ingredients. I have found that La Victoria Thick and Chunky Medium (All La Victoria brand sauces are Gluten Free) can be pureed and make wonderful Enchilada Sauce!