Mom's Chicken Surprise
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
4chicken breasts, whole, skin on
1 can(s)tomato soup
1 pkgonion or onion mushroom soup mix
1 largetomato, diced
1 can(s)mushroom pieces or fresh mushrooms
2 tspgarlic powder
1 tspdry oregano
How to Make Mom's Chicken Surprise
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sprinkle half of dry onion soup mix in the bottom of a roasting pan. Place chicken pieces on it, pressing down. Sprinkle remainder of soup mix on top of the chicken.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the tomato soup and water, and then add the canned mushroom pieces with their liquid. If using fresh mushrooms, add 1/2 cup dry white wine. Add diced tomato and stir gently. Pour mixture around the chicken pieces being careful not to wash away the dry onion soup on the chicken.
- Season everything with the garlic powder and oregano. I always add a bit of Penzey's poultry seasoning and their Sunny Paris spices. You can get them at www.penzeys.com or look for a store near you. No, I don't work for them.
- Cook for approximately 1 hour. You'll have a lot of sauce, which I usually serve over rice or bow tie pasta.