Mom's Chicken Cacciatore
15 (approxchicken pieces - white and dark meat - i use thights and breasts (i cut the breasts in half before frying)
2 Tbspolive oil
3 clovegarlic, chopped
1 can(s)crushed italian tomatoes (i use tutta rosa in the green can)
2 can(s)del monte tomato sauce
1/2 cwhite wine
1 pkgfresh mushrooms, sliced
·salt, pepper, parsley flakes, basil flakes
How to Make Mom's Chicken Cacciatore
- Pat the chicken pieces dry and season with salt and pepper.
- In large pot, head olive oil and fry chicken pieces - 4 pieces at a time - 3 minutes each side until golden brown.
- When all the chicken is fried, remove oil from pot and add garlic and mushrooms - stir to get all the goodness from the bottom on the pot.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce and wine to the pot.
- Season with salt, pepper, parsley and basil. (I don't measure my seasoning - but I would guess approx 1-2 Tbsp parsley and 1 tbsp basil - salt and pepper to taste)
- Return chicken to pot with tomato sauce and cover. Cook on low heat for approximately 1 hour. Shake the pot every once in a while to stir chicken. (If the sauce is too thin, move the cover slightly off pot so that steam can escape.)
- Remove any chicken skin and place chicken in casserole dish and ladle sauce over the chicken. Serve with your favorite pasta. I usually use Angel Hair. You'll have enough sauce for the pasta too.