mock popeye's fried chicken(mild)
michelle 'FLAME' kelley
8 lbfresh cut up chicken, two whole birds divided
6 cself rising flour
6 Tbspseason salt
2 tspbaking soda
1 Tbspcayenne pepper
2 pkgonion soup mix
2 pkgspeghetti sauce mix
2 pkgitalian salad dressing dry mix
6 ccorn flakes(slightly crunched)
1/2 ccold water
4 largeeggs well beaten
How to Make mock popeye's fried chicken(mild)
- mix together your eggs and water in a med glass mixing bowl. beat eggs and water well set aside.
- put your corn flakes into a second large mixing bowl set aside.
- put enough corn or conola oil in a large heavy skillet to cover bottom about 1inch. heat on med/high temp.
- prepare two large baking sheets. 9x12x2 by greasing lightly set aside pre heat oven to 350degrees. you will need enough tin foil to cover both pans tightly on three sides and loosly on oneside.(to allow steam to excape)
- in third large glass mixing bowl mix in the following,
flour,cornstarch,season salt,paprika,baking soda,dressing,soup,sauce mixes and sugar. mix well with wire wisk after each addition.
- LETS GET TO DIPPING AND DREDGING:
set up your bowls as follows:
bowl one=flour mixture,bowl two=eggs/water,bowl three=corn flakes.
dip each piece of chicken in the following order 1,2,3, then again in bowl one quickly but lightly as to not knock off the corn flakes.
- place each piece of chicken skin side down in frying pan. browning on both sides. remove to baking sheet, placing chicken skin side up at this point. cover with tin foil tightly on three sides and loosly on one to allow for steam to escape. bake for 35-45 minutes check to see for chicken tenderness.remove tin foil and allow to remain cooking for a additional 5 minuts to crisp up the coating.
- i hope you enjoy my version of popeye's mild fryed chicken.