Mexican Chicken Casserole
- 2 lb
- chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 1/2 medium
- onion diced
- 4 large
- cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 c
- chicken broth
- 10 oz
- can ro tel tomatoes
- 1 can(s)
- black beans drained and rinsed
- mortons nature's season or your favorite season salt to taste
- 4 oz
- cream cheese
- 1-2 c
- mexican shredded cheese
How to Make Mexican Chicken Casserole
- 1Poach chicken: Add chicken breasts, stock, onion and garlic to a skillet. Bring up to a bubble then lower till simmering and poach the chicken for 20-30 minutes till tender. Then remove chicken and set aside to cool. Then shred chicken.
- 2Remove the onions and the garlic from the poaching liquid and place in food processor, mini chopper, or blender. Throw poaching liquid away OR SEE NOTE***
- 3Drain Ro Tel tomatoes and discard liquid OR SEE NOTE* Add the tomatoes to the onions and garlic and pulse till chunky but blended. Drain and rinse black beans.
- 4Place processed ro tel tomatoes and shredded chicken together and stir in drained black beans. Season lightly with season salt, remember cheese can be a bit salty. Spread this in a 9x13 inch baking dish. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 5Dot the top of the casserole all over with small bits of the cream cheese then cover with the Shredded Mexican cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30-35 minutes until edges are brown.
- 6To serve: sprinkled about a tablespoon of cilantro over the top and sour cream, salsa, and pico on the table. I served this with Mexican rice and Corn.
- 7NOTES: 1. To make this low carb then omit the black beans. You can use any bean or pea you would like. 2. The poaching liquid is nicely flavored and you can strain the bits out then freeze it in to 1 tablespoon ice cubes and use as needed for chicken broth or make the rice with it. 3. I used the ro tel juice to make my Mexican Rice. 4. If ya life it a bit sassier and spicier you can use shredded Pepper jack or add some jalapeno slices. I have one tho that just does not like spicy tho.