Mark's Chicken Sausage & Shrimp Perloo
Blue Ribbon Recipe
What a tasty mix of flavors! We ended up using habanero in place of the datil pepper, but the result was still scrumptious.
TIP: As a little time-saver, try placing the pepper(s) in a cheesecloth sack for easy retrieval before serving. The Test Kitchen
- 2 Tbsp
- extra-virgin olive oil
- fryer chicken cut in pieces
- 1 lb
- sausage links cut into 1/4
- 2 c
- onions chopped
- red bell pepper seeded and chopped
- datil pepper seeded and cut in half
- 3 Tbsp
- chopped parsley
- koser salt season to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 3 medium
- tomatoes peeled, seeded, chopped or 1 can chopped tomatoes with juices
- 1 Tbsp
- minced garlic
- bay leaves
- 1 1/2 c
- yellow seasoned rice
- 3 c
- chicken broth
- 35 large
- large shrimp or 45-50 small
- scallions chopped
How to Make Mark's Chicken Sausage & Shrimp Perloo
- 1In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- 2Add chicken parts and sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 5-10 minutes remove meat from pot set aside.
- 3Reduce heat to medium add onions, garlic, parsley, red bell pepper,tomatoes, and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 15 minutes, until liquid from the tomatoes thickens, add sausage bay leaves and datil pepper halves and cook about 5 minutes. Stir in chicken parts, rice, chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer covered, until rice is cooked through, about 35-45 minutes stir gently every few minutes.
- 4With about 10 minutes to go stir in the shrimp and scallions, uncover and turn up the heat to medium until shrimp is pink.
- 5Before serving remove the datil peppers halves. Guess will not enjoy biting into these peppers.