Mamaw's Double Deep Dish Pot Pie
- whole chicken breast bone in or 2 c left over chicken or turkey
- pie crust (your favorite) or refridgerated
- 2 c
- chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- 2/3 c
- 1 qt
- heavy cream
- 1/3 c
- real butter
- 1 small
- onion finely diced
- 1 c
- frozen peas
- 1 c
- chopped carrots
- 1 c
- fresh broccoli tops chopped (you can use frozen)
- 1/8 tsp
- beaten egg
How to Make Mamaw's Double Deep Dish Pot Pie
- 1Add salt/pepper and chicken broth to a medium stock pot and boil chicken until cooked thru reserving the broth...set aside to cool and shred.
- 2Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- 3Skim any fat off the broth and bring back up to a boil
- 4add all veggies to broth and boil for 5 minutes then reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes.
- 5In a 2 quart round casserole dish add your preferred pie crust to the bottom of the dish and mold gently to the sides of the dish. Poke holes in the bottom with a fork and bake off for 10 minutes set aside
- 6When veggies are al dente add 1/3 cup cold water to flour and mix until smooth, add mixture quickly to simmering stock.add the shredded chicken. Simmer for 5 minutes. Turn off heat stir in butter, cream and nutmeg.
- 7Fill casserole with the filling and drape the top crust over the the entire top of the casserole dish, letting it hang over the sides.Vent the top crust with a sharp knife. Brush with the egg wash. (I claim the extra crust from the sides for myself, as I am the chef!)
- 8Bake off 35-45 minutes or until Golden Brown. Rim the edges with foil if they begin to brown too much. Allow pie to set up for 15-20 minutes to hold form when cut.
ENJOY!!!! You may want to skip dessert....but trust me it is worth it!