Mamaw's Double Deep Dish Pot Pie
2whole chicken breast bone in or 2 c left over chicken or turkey
2pie crust (your favorite) or refridgerated
2 cchicken broth
1 qtheavy cream
1/3 creal butter
1 smallonion finely diced
1 cfrozen peas
1 cchopped carrots
1 cfresh broccoli tops chopped (you can use frozen)
How to Make Mamaw's Double Deep Dish Pot Pie
- Add salt/pepper and chicken broth to a medium stock pot and boil chicken until cooked thru reserving the broth...set aside to cool and shred.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Skim any fat off the broth and bring back up to a boil
- add all veggies to broth and boil for 5 minutes then reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes.
- In a 2 quart round casserole dish add your preferred pie crust to the bottom of the dish and mold gently to the sides of the dish. Poke holes in the bottom with a fork and bake off for 10 minutes set aside
- When veggies are al dente add 1/3 cup cold water to flour and mix until smooth, add mixture quickly to simmering stock.add the shredded chicken. Simmer for 5 minutes. Turn off heat stir in butter, cream and nutmeg.
- Fill casserole with the filling and drape the top crust over the the entire top of the casserole dish, letting it hang over the sides.Vent the top crust with a sharp knife. Brush with the egg wash. (I claim the extra crust from the sides for myself, as I am the chef!)
- Bake off 35-45 minutes or until Golden Brown. Rim the edges with foil if they begin to brown too much. Allow pie to set up for 15-20 minutes to hold form when cut.
ENJOY!!!! You may want to skip dessert....but trust me it is worth it!