Mama's Chicken & Dressing
Barbara Arledge Bynum
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- (iron skillets of) cornbread, cooked
- 8 can(s)
- fat free chicken broth, heated
- 1 stick
- butter, room temperature
- 2 medium
- sweet onion, chopped
- 2 can(s)
- cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1 can(s)
- cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- eggs, beaten
- 2-3 Tbsp
- sage, dried, to taste
- 1-2 Tbsp
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 large can(s)
- chicken breast, using broth
- or 1 large
- whole chicken, cooked and deboned
How to Make Mama's Chicken & Dressing
- 1Put your crumbled up cornbread into a large stock pot.
- 2Pour hot chicken broth over the cornbread to let it soften, about 1 hour. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 3Add the stick of butter, stir as needed.
- 4Next add your chopped onion, cream of celery soup, cream of mushroom soup and eggs. Stir until well blended.
- 5Add sage,salt and pepper according to your taste.
- 6Once you have all of this mixed, add your chicken, mixing throughly. This mixture should be pourable and not hard to stir. If it is, just add a little more chicken broth, until it reaches the desired consistency.
- 7Pour into large glass baking dish, that has been sprayed with cooking oil spray.
- 8Bake in oven, at 375 degrees, until golden brown approx. 1.5 hours. (You may have created 2 large portions of this dressing, depending on the thickness of your cornbread and size of your chicken) So, just freeze one, for cooking later! Serve with cranberry sauce.