Mama's Chicken & Dressing
Barbara Arledge Bynum
★★★★★ 1 vote5
2-3(iron skillets of) cornbread, cooked
8 can(s)fat free chicken broth, heated
1 stickbutter, room temperature
2 mediumsweet onion, chopped
2 can(s)cream of celery soup, undiluted
1 can(s)cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
2-3 Tbspsage, dried, to taste
1-2 Tbspsalt and pepper, to taste
6 large can(s)chicken breast, using broth
or 1 largewhole chicken, cooked and deboned
How to Make Mama's Chicken & Dressing
- Put your crumbled up cornbread into a large stock pot.
- Pour hot chicken broth over the cornbread to let it soften, about 1 hour. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Add the stick of butter, stir as needed.
- Next add your chopped onion, cream of celery soup, cream of mushroom soup and eggs. Stir until well blended.
- Add sage,salt and pepper according to your taste.
- Once you have all of this mixed, add your chicken, mixing throughly. This mixture should be pourable and not hard to stir. If it is, just add a little more chicken broth, until it reaches the desired consistency.
- Pour into large glass baking dish, that has been sprayed with cooking oil spray.
- Bake in oven, at 375 degrees, until golden brown approx. 1.5 hours. (You may have created 2 large portions of this dressing, depending on the thickness of your cornbread and size of your chicken) So, just freeze one, for cooking later! Serve with cranberry sauce.