Libbie Custer's Chicken and Dumplings
Early American history of Military wives with a strong focus on the Civil War. Excepts from letters add a special touch to this delicious classic
- chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- bouillion cubes
- 1 small
- onion chopped
- 2 stick
- clelery , chopped 1/4 inch pieces
- 4 stick
- carrots, peeled and chopped 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 tsp
- 1 c
- peas, fresh or frozen
- 1 1/2 c
- all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp
- rounded spoon on baking powder
- 1/4 c
- 1/3 c
- plus 2 tbs ice cold water
How to Make Libbie Custer's Chicken and Dumplings
- 1In a stock pot boil chicken. Add bouillon, onion and celery. Boil 10 minutes.
- 2Reduce heat to low. Add carrots and simmer 30-35 minutes.
- 3Remove chicken from water and set aside to cool. Cube chicken.
- 4Dumplings: In a medium bowl blend the listed ingredients. to form a dough.
- 5Flour surface. Roll out tin and cut 3x2 inch strips.
- 6Bring remaining broth from chicken to a rapid boil and drop dough strips i quickly. Cook about 10-12 minutes.
- 7Add the diced chicken. season with salt and pepper.
- 8Cover and simmer a few extra minutes.
- 9When dumplings are done, if you want a thicker gravy then mix 2 TBS flour with 1/4 cup cold water and slowly add to the mixture stirring until smooth and desired thickness.