Libbie Custer's Chicken and Dumplings
Early American history of Military wives with a strong focus on the Civil War. Excepts from letters add a special touch to this delicious classic
5chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
1 smallonion chopped
2 stickclelery , chopped 1/4 inch pieces
4 stickcarrots, peeled and chopped 1/4 inch pieces
1 cpeas, fresh or frozen
1 1/2 call-purpose flour
3/4 tsprounded spoon on baking powder
1/3 cplus 2 tbs ice cold water
How to Make Libbie Custer's Chicken and Dumplings
- In a stock pot boil chicken. Add bouillon, onion and celery. Boil 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low. Add carrots and simmer 30-35 minutes.
- Remove chicken from water and set aside to cool. Cube chicken.
- Dumplings: In a medium bowl blend the listed ingredients. to form a dough.
- Flour surface. Roll out tin and cut 3x2 inch strips.
- Bring remaining broth from chicken to a rapid boil and drop dough strips i quickly. Cook about 10-12 minutes.
- Add the diced chicken. season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer a few extra minutes.
- When dumplings are done, if you want a thicker gravy then mix 2 TBS flour with 1/4 cup cold water and slowly add to the mixture stirring until smooth and desired thickness.