Lemon Basil Chicken
- chicken breast filets
- lemons - zest and juice
- 1 can(s)
- plain panko crumbs
- 1 1/2 c
- all purpose flour
- 1 c
- finely chopped basil - i do this last, so it doesn't turn black
- 1 qt
- chicken stock
- canola oil for cooking
- 1/4 c
- white zinfandel wine
How to Make Lemon Basil Chicken
- 1Pound chicken to 1/4" thickness.
Zest and juice lemons
- 2Assemble a breading station: use pie plates or breading trays.
Flour in one, beaten eggs in second, crumbs in third.
- 3In heavy non-stick skillet heat oil over low heat while you chop basil.
Reserve 1/2 C basil for sauce.
Add basil and lemon zest to panko crumbs. Stir with a fork to combine.
- 4Bring oil to medium - medium high heat.
Bread chicken while oil heats. Flour chicken, dip in egg, and coat with crumbs. Save flour for sauce.
Brown chicken on both sides - don't crowd the pan! Save about 2 Tbsp of cooking oil.
Place chicken on a cooling rack over a sheet pan. This keeps chicken out of oil and allows heat to circulate and keep crisp.
Bake at 325 degrees 20 minutes - until chicken is cooked through.
- 5While chicken is in the oven, make sauce.
In the same skillet, with reserved oil, heat, add enough left over flour to make a roux.
- 6Deglaze pan with wine and lemon juice, whisking constantly, add enough of the chicken stock to make a sauce that isn't too heavy.
At this point, check sauce for seasonings. Add salt and pepper to taste. I wait until this point to taste for salt because of the stock.