Lemon and milk braised chicken
- one whole chicken, 4 to 5 pounds
- kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups milk
- zest of two lemons
- 10 cloves garlic, peeled and lightly smashed
- one half cinnamon stick
- 5 to 8 large sage leaves
- two sprigs rosemary, 3 inches each
How to Make Lemon and milk braised chicken
- 1preheat oven to 375°. Discard chicken neck and any included giblets. Pat chicken dry with paper towels and season generously with kosher salt and black pepper, including inside the cavity. Place a 4 quarts or larger Dutch oven or heavy oven safe pot or pan over high heat. Add butter. When it melts and foams, add chicken. Brown chicken over high heat 10 minutes, using Tongs to turn over. When chicken is evenly Golden Brown, turn it breast side down in pot and pour in milk.
- 2Bring to a simmer, then turn off heat.
Add to milk the lemon zest, garlic cloves, cinnamon, Sage, and Rosemary. Cover pot with a lid or foil and roast 45 minutes. Remove lid and roast until a thermometer inserted into thickest part of the thigh registers 165°, 30 to 45 minutes more. Remove from oven and carve or shredded chicken. It should pull off the bone easily. If needed, add salt to sauce to taste. Serve, spooning sauce from pan over meat. Makes four servings.