Lazy Daze - Semi Homemade Chicken Pot Pie
When I would make this for just my hubby and me, I’d also add some mushrooms, but since he’s gone now, and I’m cooking for my son who doesn’t eat mushrooms, I’ve left them out here – but feel free to add mushrooms, corn, or anything else you might like.
- 2½ cups chicken, cooked, cubed (store bought rotisserie chicken works great)
- 1¼ cups frozen peas & carrots
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup onion, chopped
- ½ cup celery, sliced
- ¼ cup flour
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- ½ cup milk
- ½ tsp. thyme
- ¼ teaspoon sage
- salt & pepper (suit your own tastes or dietary requirements)
- 4 mary b’s frozen buttermilk biscuits (thawed)
- grated parmesan and/or romano cheese
How to Make Lazy Daze - Semi Homemade Chicken Pot Pie
- 1Preheat Oven to 400º F. Butter a 9” square baking dish and set aside.
- 2In large skillet, melt the butter; add the onions and celery; cook until tender. Add the flour and stir to make a paste. Slowly pour in the chicken broth and the milk. Add the thyme, sage, ground black pepper and salt, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and comes to a boil.
- 3Add the cubed, cooked chicken, carrots and peas; stir to mix and heat through.
- 4Pour thickened mixture into baking dish.
- 5On a floured board, cut each thawed biscuit in half...roll into a ball and flatten into a disk. Place cut and flattened biscuit dough on top of the chicken-vegetable mixture to form a crust.
- 6Sprinkle with shredded Parmesan or Romano cheese.
- 7Bake 15 minutes or until crust is golden brown.