onechicken steamed and boned and cut into bite size pieces
2 cgrated cheddar cheese
1 largeonion diced and cooked in butter till tender
1 can(s)cream of chicken soup, undiluted
1 can(s)cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
1 can(s)diced rotel tomatoes and green chilies
10 or 12corn tortillas torn into bite size pieces
·salt and pepper to taste
up to 1 cchicken broth if needed
KING RANCH CHICKEN
How to Make King Ranch Chicken
- Cook, bone and chop chicken and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Dice and cook onion in a bit of butter till somewhat tender, then add to chopped chicken.
- Add other ingredients and mix well.
- Spray a deep baking dish with non-stick cooking spray then cover the bottom with torn pieces of corn tortillas. Spread a layer of chicken mixture over the tortillas till covered then add another layer of torn bite size pieces of tortillas. Continuing layering ending with the chicken mixture on top.
- Generously sprinkle parmesan cheese on top of the last layer.
- At this point it may be frozen or will keep in the refrigerator for several days. You may also bake it now.
- If frozen let it thaw before baking. If rrefrigerated let it sit out about 30 minutes before putting it in a hot oven.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 for about 45 minutes until sides bubble and top is nicely browned. Let it sit about five minutes before serving.
- I serve this dish with a salad of lettuce, chopped green onions and fresh tomato. Just before serving I open and rince the sauce off a can of Ranch Style Beans (original) and drain well. At the last minute toss beans and salad with a few Frito corn chips (small size)with your favorite Catalina dressing. (I use fat free or reduced fat)
- I have never been able to make enough to have left overs! My family loves it.