King Ranch Chicken
Chicken, veggies, picante sauce and cheese!! What more could a person want?
4 largechicken breasts, boneless and skinless
1 largegreen bell pepper, chopped
1 largeonion, chopped
12 smallcorn tortillas
1 can(s)cream of mushroom soup
1 can(s)cream of chicken soup
1 Tbspchili powder
4 Tbsppicante sauce
1 can(s)stewed tomatoes
1 cmexican blend shredded cheese
How to Make King Ranch Chicken
- Boil your chicken breast in some water and chicken base for about 20-30 minutes. Don't overcook your chicken because it will cook more in the oven.
Turn off heat. Remove chicken from broth and cube/dice. Set aside.
- While chicken is cooking, chop up onion and bell pepper. Saute' in skillet with 1/2 stick of butter til el dente'. (Will cook more in oven.) Turn off heat when done.
- Dip 6 corn tortillas into chicken broth and layer in a large casserole dish, lining the bottom and sides of dish. Layer 1/2 diced chicken, 1/2 bell pepper and onion mixture, 1/2 can cream of mushroom soup, 1/2 can cream of chicken soup, 1/2 T. chili powder, and 2 T. picante sauce (I use medium).
- Dip remaining (6) tortillas in chicken broth and layer on top. Repeat layering with diced chicken, soups, onion & bell pepper, chili powder and picante sauce.
- Finish your casserole by adding a can of diced or stewed tomatoes to the top and 1 cup of shredded cheese. If you would like your casserole to be spicier, use Rotel instead of plain tomatoes on this step.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour covered.