KING RANCH CHICKEN (SALLYE)
4boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 mediumwhite onion
1 mediumgreen bell pepper
1 can(s)cream of mushroom soup
1 can(s)cream of chicken soup
2 can(s)ro-tel tomatoes and green chilies
12soft corn tortillas, torn into pieces
2 cshredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cchicken broth (can use stock from boiling chicken)
1 tspeach of chili powder & cumin
How to Make KING RANCH CHICKEN (SALLYE)
- Boil chicken with salt and pepper for approximately 30 minutes until done completely.
Remove chicken from pan and set on cutting board to cool.
- Cut chicken into bite size pieces or shred. I usually shred mine in the food processor. It's quicker and only takes a couple of pulses to get it shredded.
- Peel and quarter onion and place in food processor.
Cut pepper into quarters and remove core, membrane and seeds. Place in food processor with onions.
Pulse 3-5 times until onion and bell pepper are coarsely chopped.
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add green peppers and onions and cook for approximately 5 minutes until tender, stirring as needed to avoid burning.
- Add soups, ro-tel tomatoes, cumin and chili powder, and 1/2 cup stock into saucepan with pepper and onions and stir with wooden spoon until blended and smooth. Remove from heat.
- In 9" x 13" baking dish, arrange alternate layers beginning with tortillas, then chicken, then soup mixture and cheese until all products are used up (ending with cheese topping).
- Bake at 375º for 40 minutes.
You can turn heat up to 425º for the last ten minutes if you want cheese topping to be really crusty.