Jocon de Pollo (Guatemalan Chicken with Tomatillo)
If you can' find pumpkin seeds, just use twice the amount of sesame seeds.
2 1/2 - 3 lbchicken thighs
1/4 cpumpkin seeks (pepitas)
1/4 csesame seeds
2corn tortillas, chopped, soaked in water, drained
1 ctomatillos, hulled and chopped
1 bunchcilantro, chopped
1 bunchgreen onions, chopped
1-3`jalapeno peppers, chopped
How to Make Jocon de Pollo (Guatemalan Chicken with Tomatillo)
- Place the chicken, water and salt into a large pot over medium-high flame. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Remove the chicken to a bowl and strain and set aside the broth. Let chicken cool, then shred it with your fingers. Set aside.
- Heat a dry skillet over medium flame. Add the pumpkin and sesame seeds and toast, stirring, until lightly browned. Remove to a coffee grinder and grind to a fine powder.
- Add the sesame and pumpkin seeds, tortillas, tomatillos, cilantro, scallions and chile peppers to a food processor or blender. Add 1 cup of the reserved broth and process until smooth. If using a blender you may have to do this step in batches.
- Return the chicken to the pot. Pour over pureed sauce and add 1 to 1 1/2 cups of the remaining broth to give it a sauce-like consistency.
- Heat over medium-low flame and simmer for an additional 15-25 minutes. Adjust seasoning and serve.