Jen's Stir Fried Lo-Mein
1 lbpork,chicken,beef or shrimp or a combo of some or all
2 clovegarlic, minced
5-6baby carrots, julienned
1celery stalk, sliced on a slant
3green onions, chopped
1/2head of broccoli, blanched
·handful of peapods
1red,orange or yellow pepper(or a 13 of a combo of all 3),julienned
1 smallcan mung bean sprouts(or fresh if available)
1 smallcan of sliced water chestnuts
1 smallcan bamboo shoots
1 can(s)low sodium chicken or beef broth
·flavored stir fry sauce(i prefer to use iron chef tm sesame garlic sauce)
·seasoning (like mccormick’s szechwan tm or emril’s asian tm)
1 lblinguine or angel hair pasta
How to Make Jen's Stir Fried Lo-Mein
- Cut up the carrots,celery,onion,pepper,& green onion.Put in a bowl & set aside.
- Julienne whatever meat you’re using.If you want you can cut up the meat ahead of time and marinate with soy sauce, teriyaki sauce or orange juice with a little Asian seasoning or Chinese 5 spice.
- You can also blanche the broccoli ahead of time and set aside.
- Open cans of sprouts,shoots & chestnuts & drain. Set aside.
- Heat a pot of water for the pasta.
- Heat up a little oil in a large cast iron skillet or wok.
- Toss in and brown the beef,chicken,or pork.
- Take the meat out of the pan and set aside.
- Now you want to stir fry the raw vegetables. Start with a little oil,toss in the minced garlic,saute a moment and throw in carrots,pepper,celery & onions.Stir fry a few minutes.
- Add the browned meat.
- Sprinkle in some seasoning & stir fry a few more minutes.(tsp to a tbsp)
- Add about 13 -12 can of broth and your flavored sauce…(example:13- 12 bottle of Sesame Garlic Sauce)
- (If you are doing raw deveined shrimp now is a good time to throw the shrimp in. If shrimp is already cooked wait until the end and toss in with pea pods.)
- Cover pan with a lid for a few moments and let the flavors blend and the shrimp to cook.
- In the mean time…if your water has started to boil,it’s time to prepare your pasta. Follow package directions.
- Take the lid off of your stir fry. Add the drained canned vegetables,pea pods, & broccoli.
- Stir & put the lid back on for a minute or three.
- If you like your sauce a little thicker,put a tsp or two of corn starch in a little cold water and add to the stir fry & mix it through.
- Drain your pasta & put it back in the pan.
- Toss in a little bit of the flavored sauce and stir.
- Now you serve. Either put the pasta right in a bowl and put vegetables and sauce on top or put the pasta right in the stir fry and toss together.
- Serve with some crispy chow mein noodles on top.Deep fry some mini egg rolls as a side dish.