Jamaican Chicken with Rice and Peas
Don't let the number of ingredients scare you....there's very little chopping or prepping....mostly just some measuring!
Let's talk about hot peppers for a moment! Much of your heat comes from the seeds and ribs on the inside of the pepper. By removing them, you also remove some of the heat level...leave the seeds in and you have more heat!
- scallions, white and green parts, roughly chopped
- 4 clove
- garlic, peeled
- inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and rough chopped
- 2 - 3 large
- jalapeno peppers
- 3 Tbsp
- lime juice
- 2 Tbsp
- light brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp
- fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tsp
- ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp
- ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp
- 2 Tbsp
- soy sauce
- 1/4 c
- vegetable or canola oil
- 4 large
- chicken breasts, skinless and boneless
- 1 c
- jasmine or long grain white rice
- 2 3/4 c
- chicken stock
- 1 c
- frozen peas, thawed
- scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced on the diagonal
How to Make Jamaican Chicken with Rice and Peas
- 1In a food processor (small one, if you have it), place 4 chopped scallions, garlic, ginger, peppers, lime juice, brown sugar, thyme leaves, allspice, nutmeg and salt. Pulse until the mixture forms a paste.
- 2In a gallon size resealable bag, combine spice mixture, soy sauce and oil and mix well. Add chicken breasts and mix well, making sure the chicken is well coated. Seal bag tightly and place in refrigerator. Marinate at least overnight and up to 24 hours. Tumble the bag several times to make sure the chicken is fully coated.
- 3Heat a large skillet or sauté pan (with a lid) over medium high heat. Add 1 or 2 tablespoons oil. Add only the chicken pieces (not the extra marinade) and sauté for 6 – 7 minutes, flip chicken and cook for an additional 4 – 5 minutes. Chicken does not have to be fully cooked at this time. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- 4Add rice to hot pan and stir for 2 – 3 minutes, lightly toasting rice. Add two cups of chicken stock and bring to a boil. Cover pan and reduce heat to low. Let rice simmer for 10 minutes, then stir in peas and remaining three scallions, replace lid and cook for another 5 minutes. Check rice and add more stock, if necessary.
- 5Stir rice again, adding more stock if necessary and checking for doneness of rice. Place chicken breasts on top of rice, return lid and cook until rice is completely cooked. Turn off heat and let covered pan sit for 10 minutes.
- 6Remove chicken and fluff rice with a fork. Serve garnished with thinly sliced scallions or parsley, if desired.