Italian Chicken In A Pot
This is fall off the bone tender and moist. I made some slight adjustments to add to the flavor. I just can't help myself!
- 4-5 lb roasting chicken
- salt and pepper
- 1 Tbsp
- olive oil
- onion cut up
- stalk of celery cut up
- medium garlic cloves peeled and trimmed
- bay leaf
- sprig fresh rosemary
- 1/2-1 Tbsp
- fresh lemon juice
How to Make Italian Chicken In A Pot
- 1Adjust oven wrack to lowest position and preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- 2Pat the chicken dry and season liberally with salt and pepper. Remember to season inside the cavity too.
- 3Heat oil in dutch oven and add whole chicken breast side down. Surround it with the onion, celery, garlic, bay leaf and rosemary.
- 4Cook about 5 minutes and then flip the bird and cook another 6-8 minutes.
- 5Remove dutch oven from heat and place foil over pot and place lid on top of foil.
- 6Place in oven for approximately 2 hours.
- 7Remove chicken and place on carving board. Cover with foil and let rest for about 20 minutes.
- 8Strain the chicken juices and return to the pot scraping up any goodness on the bottom. Season the juice again with salt and pepper to taste. Add the lemon juice and simmer while the chicken rests.
- 9Cut up chicken and place on serving platter. Pour some of the juice over the chicken and serve the rest of the juice on the side.
- 10NOTE: I added approx 1/3 C of wine instead of the lemon juice. Next time I think I'll add both.
I served this dish with roasted potatoes.