- whole (2 to 3 lb) fryer, cut into pieces
- salt & pepper to taste
- honey for coating chicken
- 1 Tbsp
- garlic powder
- 1 oz
- pkg dry instant chicken broth mix
- 2 c
- flour, all-purpose or whole-wheat
- your choice of oil or shortening for frying
How to Make Honey Do Southern Fried Chicken
- 1Season chicken with salt and pepper to taste. Coat each piece with honey.
- 2In a shallow dish or pie plate, mix together the garlic powder, chicken broth mix and flour.
Dredge honey-coated chicken, one piece at a time, in the flour mixture to cover completely laying them out on a piece of wax paper while the oil/shortening heats up.
- 3Heat the shortening/oil to cover almost an inch of the skillet bottom. Place chicken in the hot oil or shortening and fry at least 5 minutes on first side before turning. fry at least 5 minutes on other side. Then fry until jices run clear when poked. Do not let pieces touch one another (don't over-crowd the fry pan).
- 4Note: I have never baked this instead of frying it but I think it would work if you use a non-stick baking pan with a little Pam (for a more diet friendly version.)