Healthy & Easy Shepherd's Pie
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 1/2 to 1 c
- chicken or turkey, lefovers work well, or canned
- 1 can(s)
- low-sodium or low-fat cream of chicken soup, other flavors work well too
- 1 box
- whole wheat or low-sodium stove top style stuffing, or apprx 2 cups dressing, leftovers work well
- 2 c
- mashed potatoes, leftovers work well
- hebs & spices, my preferences: pepper, paprika, poultry seasong
- 1/4 to 1/2 c
- grated cheddar cheese, or cheese or choice
How to Make Healthy & Easy Shepherd's Pie
- 1Boil 1 piece of boneless chicken or turkey, with bay leave, pepper and paprika. Save broth. Chop chicken into small pieces and set aside. Or use leftovers or canned.
- 2Use part of broth to make one box stove top stuffing. Or use leftovers. Spread stuffing in bottom of 8x8 pan.
- 3Mix chopped chicken with 1 can cream of soup, add ½ cup of corn (or other veggies). Season to taste. Spread soup mixture in pan atop stuffing.
- 4Use additional broth to make mashed potatoes, season with paprika and pepper, or other spices and herbs. Or use leftovers. Spread atop soup mixture. Sprinkle with grated cheddar cheese.
- 5Bake at 400’ until cheese is melted and potatoes are just a bit browned. Can also be microwaved until cheese melts.
- 6*Can be easily made to serve 6-8 by doubling recipe and using 9x13 pan. Or, make a triple recipe and use two pans. Doubling or tripling recipe and using more than one pan also allows you to serve one and freeze one for use later! Re-heats well in microwave.