Hawaiian Grilled Chicken
Vicki Butts (lazyme)
1/2 colive oil
1/3 cfreshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 csoy sauce
3 clovegarlic, peeled and minced
1 tspfresh oregano
1 tspfresh rosemary
1 tspfresh basil, optional
1/4 tsppepper or lemon pepper
4 lbchicken, split broilers
·olive oil spray
How to Make Hawaiian Grilled Chicken
- Wash chicken and place both halves in a large ziploc bag.
- Squeeze lemon juice; add zest for extra flavor.
- Combine remaining ingredients with the lemon juice and place in bag.
- Refrigerate for several hours (up to 6 hours), turning occasionally.
- Place chicken on broiler rack, skin side down or on grill; keep chicken about 7 inches away from heat.
- If grilling, set chicken on opposite side of the coals to avoid flare-ups.
- At start of cooking, brush chicken with marinade - then discard marinade so that you're not tempted to use it during the cooking (for safety's sake).
For extra flavor, sprinkle chicken liberally with salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder just before cooking. Substitute lemon pepper for the black pepper, if available, for an extra zesty kick.
- Broil or grill chicken for 20 minutes or until browned on one side, avoiding flare ups.
- At this point, spray the chicken lightly with olive oil spray; then turn it to the other side and spray again.
- Cook for another 10 minutes or so until chicken is done (juice no longer runs pink).
Wine vinegar may be substituted for the lemon juice. If fresh herbs are not available, substitute 1/2-3/4 teaspoon dried.
- Serve garnished with sprigs of rosemary and a lemon wedge.