★★★★★ 2 votes5
4 largeboneless skinless chicken breasts
4-8 slicesmoked deli ham, cut or folded in half as needed
4-8 sliceswiss cheese, cut or floded in half as needed
1 cheavy cream
2-3 tspdijon mustard
1 cdiced tomato
1/2 cchopped green onion
·black peper to taste
·wooden toothpicks as needed
·all-purpose flour flor lightly dustin chicken before cooking (optional)
·olive oil for sauteing chicken
How to Make Ham and Swiss Cheese Stuffed Chicken
- If the boneless, skinless chicken breasts you're using are on the thicker side, slice them in half from top to bottom before pounding them between two sheets of plastic wrap until they're about 1/4-inch thick.
- Take the top layer of plastic wrap off and top each chickent breast with a thin layer of smoked deli ham and sliced swiss cheese and then fold each one over on itself lengthwise, using a wooden toothpick to secure the loose end.
- You can give the chicken a light dustin of flour if you like before adding it to a large pan on medium heat, in a little olive oil, and you'll want to cook it until it is lightly browned on both sides and cooked through, and then take it out of the pan to rest on a clean plate.
- You might have to adjust the heat down a little bit as you're cooking the chicken and, once it's out of the pan, add 3/4 to 1 cup heavy cream to the pan and add a good dollop of Dijon mustard and let that reduce down a bit.
- Then add 3/4 to 1 cup diced tomato and 1/3 to 1/2 cup chopped green onion. Add the chicken back to the pan to warm through a bit and it is time to eat!
serve with steamed rice or plain pasta.
Don't forget to take the toothpicks out before serving. Doing that is probably easier before adding the chicken back to the pan to re-warm in the tomato cream.
If the chicken breasts you are using are small you still want to pound them a bit in the plastic wram before adding ham and cheese. Try to keep the sliced cheese from sticking out of the edges of the chicken so that it doesn't melt all over the pan when cooking.