For seafood gumbo you add tomatoes, chicken doesn't have tomato The locals buy gumbo mix in the meat department that has ham, bologna etc in it. I don't care for that but it's an option. My family and anyone that's ever eaten this RAVES.
Gumbo is not really a soup it's more like a stew.
- onions, diced
- bell peppers, diced
- 1/2 bunch
- 2 bunch
- green onions
- creole seasoning
- old bay seasoning
- 2 can(s)
- chicken broth
- 1 1/2 c
- 1 c
- 2 or 3 lb
- oysters, crabs (whole cleaned)
- smoked sausage
- ham, cubed lunchmeats
- gumbo file`( pronounced felay)
- 1 15 oz
- can tomato sauce
- 1 large
- can diced tomatoes
THESE ARE THE OPTIONAL INGREDIENTS
How to Make Gumbo
- 1First thing is make your roux. YOU MUST NOT leave this.
There are two ways to make it.
Traditional: in a skillet add flour and oil. Cook on very low heat stirring constantly until your roux is darker than peanut butter. Seriously. It will burn quickly so it much be stirred and watched. You want it just before it burns. When it is ready get it out of the pan as it will continue cooking. Set aside
Non traditional: Put the oil and flour in a large 4 cup pyrex measuring cup and microwave for two minutes. After this continue microwaving taking it out every 30 seconds to stir. Again this will burn quickly after it starts to brown so watch it closely. And be careful it is burning hot!
- 2Second and don't try to do this while your roux is cooking, is vegetables. In a large pan add some more oil and all your chopped veg. Saute till nearly done in fact you may want to caramelize them some. Add the spices to your taste. I like a lot of spices like 2 heaping tsp of creole seasoning and 1 heaping tsp OLD BAY. you can also add hot sauce (tobasco, franks etc) at this point if you want it.
also okra probably 1 and 1/2 cups. Now another decision is to be made.
* Okra will make it thick and maybe slimy. Some people like that. I don't. My husband won't eat it with okra so I don't use it however to cut the slime, you can saute the okra until it browns (no cornmeal).you would add it now.
- 3AT this point you need to decide whether you want chicken or seafood gumbo.
* chicken broth will go in for both styles
#Chicken gumbo you will add browned chicken pieces. Breasts should be cut in half. Add smoked sausage and what ever lunch meats you may have chosen.
Add the roux and stir. You may need more water or more roux depending on how much you make. One or two pieces of chicken for each serving.
Let gently boil for an hour or so
- 4# Seafood gumbo you will add the tomatoes and sauce, chicken broth. Another thing you can add is bottled clam juice for extra flavor. Roux more or less depending on how much you are making.
water. Let gently boil for about an hour.
- 5#Seafood add the seafood about 15 minutes before serving depending on the seafood. Clams or squid needs to wait until about 5 minutes before serving
season with salt and pepper after tasting it.
- 6Serve over fluffy white rice along with potato salad and crackers or crusty french bread.If you are using gumbo file` you add it at the table just about 1/4 a tsp.
- 7Hope you guys understand this.. If you have any questions just ask away.
The left overs freeze very nicely. Just make some more rice and heat up. This recipe makes a ton.