Grilled Goat Cheese and Spinach Stuffed Spatchcock Chicken
Blue Ribbon Recipe
This combo of spinach, goat cheese and roasted tomatoes is truly scrumptious! The Test Kitchen
4 ozchopped sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained
6 ozfresh baby spinach, chopped
4 clovegarlic, minced
4 ozgoat cheese, crumbled
2 tsplemon zest, divided
2 Tbspfresh thyme leaves
1 mediumwhole chicken (approximately 3 pounds)
1 tspfresh ground black pepper
2 Tbspvegetable oil
2 smalllemons, quartered
4 sprig(s)fresh thyme for garnish
How to Make Grilled Goat Cheese and Spinach Stuffed Spatchcock Chicken
- Prepare grill to medium heat.
- Drain and chop the sun-dried tomatoes, reserving drained oil. Use a paper towel to remove excess oil from the chopped tomatoes. In a medium bowl, combine the chopped tomatoes, spinach, garlic, goat cheese, one teaspoon lemon zest and thyme leaves.
- Spatchcock the chicken by using poultry shears to cut down both sides of the backbone and removing it. Open the chicken (like a book) and skin-side down, use a paring knife to gently cut out the breastbone and white cartilage. Turn the chicken back over and starting at the neck, gently insert fingers under the skin and between the meat to loosen the skin over the breast and the top portions of the legs. Gently stuff and distribute equally, the Goat Cheese and Spinach mixture under the skin.
- Brush the reserved oil from the tomatoes over the chicken and season all over with the salt, paprika, and pepper.
- Transfer the Grilled Goat Cheese and Spinach Stuffed Spatchcock Chicken to a serving platter. Sprinkle the chicken with the reserved lemon zest and garnish with the sprigs of fresh thyme. Serve with the quartered lemons to be squeezed on each serving.