Grilled Chicken with Arugula Pesto and Caesar Spaghetti
- 1 lb
- 1/4 c
- extra-virgin olive oil, plus some for drizzling
- 4 large
- cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons to 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce, eyeball the amount
- 2 medium
- heads escarole, washed
- lemon, halved
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp
- freshly grated nutmeg, or to taste
- 2 large
- egg yolks
- 1 c
- grated pecorino romano
- anchovy fillets, drained ***optional
- 1/4 c
- sliced or slivered almonds or shelled pistachios
- 1 c
- packed fresh arugula leaves
- lemon, juiced
- 1 clove
- garlic, grated or minced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 c
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 small
- pieces boneless, skinless chicken breast (tenders removed)
- ***time saver: buy ready-made pesto and just add the arugula and almonds
INGREDIENTS FOR GRILLED CHICKEN WITH ARUGULA PESTO
How to Make Grilled Chicken with Arugula Pesto and Caesar Spaghetti
- 1For the Ceasar Spaghetti: Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, salt the water. Add the pasta and cook until just shy of al dente, according to package directions.
- 2Heads up: you need to reserve about 1 cup of the starchy cooking water just before draining.
- 3If using the anchovies: While the pasta is cooking, put a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the extra-virgin olive oil. Add the anchovies and cook until they've melted into the oil, about 2 minutes.
- 4Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the garlic, stir 1 minute then add in Worcestershire.
- 5Shred the escarole and add several handfuls at a time, wilting the greens in the garlic oil.
- 6Dress the greens with lots of pepper and a little nutmeg, then squeeze the juice of 1 lemon over the pan.
- 7Add the reserved starchy cooking water to the eggs in a small bowl and beat together to temper them.
- 8Turn off the heat and add the drained pasta and the egg mixture.
- 9Stir to combine.
- 10Add half of the cheese and toss vigorously for 1 minute.
- 11Dress the pasta with a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil and transfer to a serving dish. Top with Grilled Chicken with Arugula Pesto. Pass the remaining cheese at the table.
- 12For the Grilled Chicken with Arugula Pesto, heat a grill pan to high
- 13To make your own pesto, toast the nuts lightly in small skillet over low heat, then add them to a food processor.
- 14Add the arugula, basil, lemon juice, garlic, and salt and pepper, to taste, and pulse to combine.
- 15With the processor on, stream in the extra-virgin olive oil to form a thick pesto.
- 16Or if using the ready- made pesto, just add the arugula and almonds to the pesto in a food processor and pulse to combine.
- 17Lightly pound out the chicken, then rub all sides with the pesto. Spray the grill pan with cooking spray or rub with a little oil and grill the chicken 2 to 4 minutes on each side.
- 18Serve sliced on top of Caesar Spaghetti or, pile it onto ciabatta bread with sliced tomatoes and mozzarella for a sandwich.