Green chili and chicken mock tamale pie
- 2 - 3
- chicken breasts, boneless and skinless; cooked and cubed
- 1 can(s)
- cream of mushroom soup; save can for milk measurement
- 3/4 can(s)
- white corn tortillas shells; uncooked
- 1 box
- mexican style rice-a-roni; prepared just to thickening (will finish in oven)
- 1 can(s)
- fire roasted whole green chilies; undrained
How to Make Green chili and chicken mock tamale pie
- 1Prepare Rice-A-Roni per directions; however, simmer until just set. It will finish cooking in the oven.
- 2Boil chicken until done.
Remove from water and let rest about 5 minutes.
Cube into bite sized pieces.
Put into a medium sized mixing bowl.
- 3Add Cream of Mushroom soup in with the chicken.
- 4Pour some oil from chilies into a medium sized baking dish; coating the bottom.
- 5Pour the remaining chili oil in with the chicken.
- 6Measure the milk in the Cream of Mushroom can to 3/4 can. This also gets all the soup out for you. :)
Add milk in with the chicken mixture and stir.
- 7Place a layer of corn tortilla shells on the bottom of the baking dish.
- 8Pour Mexican Rice-A-Roni on the first layer of tortillas.
- 9Add another layer of corn tortilla shells.
- 10Pour the chicken mixture on the second layer of tortillas.
- 11Open the Chilies and cut one side to lay flat. Lay each of them to cover the chicken mixture.
- 12I did not have cheese, but this would be a good place to add some. I had a little to much liquid with my chicken, so I added some left over Jasmin rice pilaf I had left from an earlier meal. If you have this problem, you can use unprepared/lightly prepared Minute Rice in a pinch (easy, a little goes a long way).
- 13Bake in a 375 oven for about 40 minutes, or until heated through.
Remove and let stand about 10 minutes.