Grandma Lewis Scratch Noodles
She taught me how to vary the recipe to fit beef tips with onion, hamburger and onion, turkey and noodles, vegetable soup, all from flour, eggs and milk. While on trail she used canned milk or water.
Remember the flour that you dusted the noodles to help dry will be your thickener.
I will add pictures soon. Hope you enjoy!
- 3 c
- all purpose flour plus for dusting
- 3 large
- egg room temp
- 1/2 c
- milk or buttermilk
- you can increase or decrease your noodle mixture to fit your cooking needs. this is just a starter recipe.
- 8 c
- chicken broth
- 1 tsp
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp
- black pepper
- 3 tsp
- garlic powder or minced garlic
- 3 c
- diced cooked chicken
INGREDIENTS FOR NOODLES
INGREDIENTS FOR BROTH
How to Make Grandma Lewis Scratch Noodles
- 1Hardware needed
Lage bowl or heavy mixer
Medium bowl for eggs
Fork to whisk
Large surface to roll out dough
Large pot for broth
- 2Combine room temp eggs and lightly whisk together.
- 3In a large bowl or heavy mixer add the flour and salt,combine the eggs and slowly add the milk, just enough to form a semi dry ball of dough. Add more milk or flour to create consistency but do not overwork. Noodles will be tough.
- 4Turn dough out onto a floured surface and divide into thirds. (Its easier to roll)
- 5Roll egg dough out with a rolling pin and if it sticks dust with a little flour. Roll to 1/8 inch thickness. Roll into a rectangle. Then lightly flour the dough surface and from one short end roll into a tight long roll.
- 6Using a sharp knife cut egg dough into strips. I usually cut about 1/4 inch. Once cut, open each one and allow to dry in the flour for at least 30 minutes. Repeat this for each ball of egg dough.
- 7While your dough is drying combine your broth ingredients and allow it to come to a rolling boil.
- 8When the broth comes to a rolling boil add your noodles a few at a time allowing the broth to come up to temp again. Stir frequently until all are in the broth and it begins to boil.
- 9Turn down the heat to medium or simmer and allow to cook for 20 minutes or until tender. Add diced chicken, allow to simmer for five minutes, serve over mashed potatoes or a sourdough bread bowl.