Fry-Bake IT Chicken Two Ways
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- chicken thighs (see instructions)
- seasoning: consisting of salt, pepper, and any other herbs or spices you like
- egg, beaten with 1 tbsp water
- flour for dredging
- panko crumbs or other breadcrumbs for alternative coating method
- 1-2 c
- canola oil for frying (enough to come up about 1/2 way on the chicken)
How to Make Fry-Bake IT Chicken Two Ways
- 1This recipe is all about method and not about amounts. Choose any type of chicken pieces you like. The more you can stick to one type the easier because they get done at about the same time. If you are using breasts, I recommend a salt brine for about 3 hours before.
- 2Pat dry your chicken pieces thoroughly. This is important to make everything stick well. Then salt, pepper and sprinkle on anything else you like, such as cayenne, oregano, paprika, etc.
- 3Set up work stations: a dish with flour, a dish with the beaten egg, and if you are using the bread coating, another dish for that. Set up a large cooling rack to place the pieces on.
- 4Dust the chicken piece in the flour, and then in the egg. If not using the bread crumbs, then place back in the flour and coat again, pressing a bit before turning and pressing again. Place on the rack. Do all the other pieces. If using the breadcrumbs, do this after the egg wash and then place on rack as well.
- 5LET THE CHICKEN DRY for a good 10 minutes. Meanwhile heat the oil. Don't worry so much about temperature. Hot enough to make it sizzle when drips of water are tossed in. When the chicken has dried up a bit, place pieces in. DON'T CROWD. Brown nicely on one side, and then turn and brown on the other.
- 6While this is going on, turn the oven on to 425. Get a jelly roll pan and place parchment or foil in the bottom and the cooling rack on top. As the pieces are browned, take out and place on the rack.
- 7When all are done and on the rack, place in the oven for between 20-40 minutes, depending on what kind of pieces you have. Wings cook the fastest of course. Thighs take about 30 minutes.
- 8Remove to a serving plate. No need to place on towelling, since any grease has fallen away to the jelly roll pan. Your chicken is perfectly crispy and done!