★★★★★ 1 vote5
1egg, slightly beaten
1 call purpose flour
2 tspgarlic salt
1/4 tsppoultry seasoning
3 lbchicken, broiler-fryers, cut-up
1 cchicken stock
How to Make Fried Chicken with Cream Gravy
- Combine milk and eggs in medium bowl.
- Combine flour, garlic salt, paprika, pepper and poultry seasoning in paper or plastic bag.
- Add a few pieces of chicken at a time, and shake to coat.
- Dip chicken in milk-egg mixture, then shake a second time in flour mixture; reserve remainder of the flour.
- Heat 1/2 to 1 inch of shortening or oil to 365 in electric skillet or on medium-high in a large heavy skillet; brown chicken on all sides.
- Reduce heat to medium low or 275; continue cooking until chicken is tender, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Turn chicken several times during cooking, and drain on paper towels in a single layer.
- To make the gravy, pour all but 2 tablespoons of the fat from the skillet; stir in 2 tablespoons of the reserved seasoned flour, and stir constantly over low heat for 2 minutes.
- Whisk in the chicken stock, stirring to scrape up the brown bits on the bottom of the pan, then stir in the milk and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly.
- Reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately, passing the gravy separately.