Fried Chicken Melanie
How to Make Fried Chicken Melanie
- 1Use a HEAVY skillet--non stick won't do the trick.
Over medium, heat enough Crisco to come about 1/2 way up the side of the skillet.
- 2Pick the number of pieces you need to serve your family, and parts that your family likes. My youngest and I like boneless breast, my older son and husband like drums and thighs on the bone.
Remove all skin and visible fat from the chicken.
- 3Whisk the milk and egg together in a shallow dish
- 4Put the flour in a separate shallow dish.
- 5Dip the chicken in the egg mixture, then sprinkle season salt on one side, dip that side in the four, sprinkle season salt the other side and cover with four. Dip back in the egg mixture, then flour again without the seasoning salt.
- 6Place in the hot oil. Repeat with the remaining pieces. Fry for 12-15 minutes per side over medium heat. Do not mess with the chicken after you put it in the pan except to turn it. Do not cover.
This picture was taken using chicken tenders. They only took about 10 minutes each side. Chicken on the bone will take a bit longer.
- 8Remove all cooked chicken from the pan. Pour off all but about a tablespoon of the excess grease, being careful to leave the 'crunchies' in the pan. Return to the heat and whisk in the flour/milk mixture. Add more season salt to taste and add more milk until the gravy reaches the desired consistency.