Eight hour Coq au Vin
- 3 slice
- bacon, cut crosswise into 3/4 to 1 pieces
- 1 pkg
- mushrooms, each cut in half, 10 ounces
- 2 c
- frozen pearl onions
- cut up chicken, skin removed from all pieces except wings, 3 1/2 to 4 pounds
- salt and pepper
- 1 medium
- onion, chopped
- 1 large
- carrot, chopped
- cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 c
- dry red wine
- 2 Tbsp
- tomato paste
- bay leaf
- 3/4 c
- chicken broth
How to Make Eight hour Coq au Vin
- 1in a large nonstick skillet, cook bacon on medium heat until browned. With slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Set aside.
- 2Meanwhile in a 5 to 6 quart slow cooker, combine mushrooms and pearl onions. Set aside.
- 3Meanwhile in a 5 to 6 quart slow cooker, combine mushrooms and pearl -onions. Set aside.
Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper. In skillet with bacon fat, cook chicken in batches if needed, on medium high until browned, about 10 minutes. Place chicken over vegetables and slow cooker bowl.
- 4Discard drippings from skillet. Reduce heat to medium. Add onion and carrot. Cook two minutes or until onion softens, stirring frequently. Stir in garlic, and cook one minute. Add wine, tomato paste, and Bay leaf. Heat to boiling, stirring to dissolve tomato paste. Pour wine mixture and broth over chicken. Cover slow cooker with lid and cook as manufacturer directs on low setting eight hours or on high setting four hours. To serve, discard bay leaf. With large spoon, transfer chicken and sauce to a deep platter, sprinkle with bacon. Serves four.