Easy Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- medium-large flour tortillas
- chicken breasts; cooked and shredded (see options in directions below)
- 24 oz
- grated cheddar cheese (fresh is best)
- 2 small
- cans las palmas medium red enchilada sauce
- 1/2 c
- onion, chopped
- 2 clove
- garlic, minced
- 2 tsp
- chili powder
- 1 tsp
- garlic poweder
- 1 tsp
- 1 dash(es)
- cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp
- 2 Tbsp
How to Make Easy Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- 1You have options on how you prefer to cook your chicken.
Option #1 – Boiled chicken
Boiled chicken comes out tender and easy to shred. Never boil a frozen chicken - you always have to thaw it first. Immerse the chicken in a large pot of cold water. Cover the pot and heat to a medium-high heat. When the water begins to bubble, turn the heat down. Leave the chicken simmering until it is done. The water does not need to reach a full boil at any time. If it is simmering gently, that is enough to cook your chicken.
A whole chicken takes about an hour to cook; depending on how much meat the chicken has on it. The internal temperature needs to be at least 160 degrees F. Use a meat thermometer to check.
Let chicken cool slightly, and shred the meat off the bone.
Option #2 – Baked chicken breasts; shred
Option #3 - Cook chicken in the crock pot on low for about 4-5 hours in some broth; shred
- 2However you cook your chicken, continue with below:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees (if not already). Lightly grease a 13x9 glass baking dish.
- 3Mix together the chicken seasoning in a small bowl. Set aside.
- 4Transfer shredded chicken to large mixing bowl. Stir in the chicken seasoning, and coat chicken. Add onion and garlic, 1 cup of enchilada sauce and half of the shredded cheddar cheese. Mix well.
- 5Scoop large spoonfuls of chicken mixture into a large flour tortilla, roll up and place in baking dish. Repeat until all mixture is used and baking dish is packed with prepared tortillas.
- 6Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the tortillas. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of the sauce. Cover with foil and bake for approximately 20 minutes, or until you can see the sauce bubbling on the sides of the dish. Remove foil and let cheese melt fully for a few minutes.
- 7Remove from oven, let sit for about 5 minutes before serving. Serve with a dollop of sour cream, refried beans and rice if desired.