Easy Chicken and Dumplings
How to Make Easy Chicken and Dumplings
- Boil the stewing hen in salted water to cover until done and falling off the bone. Use a heavy pot. If you don't have a hen, a fryer will work but you will need to add some chicken base to boost the flavor. Nothing beats a hen's broth.
- Remove the chicken from the broth and de-bone the cool chicken. Shread the chicken into bite size pieces and set aside. Do not use the skin.
- Skim the broth off as much of the fat as possible. Add the chopped parsley, garlic powder, poultry seasoning and black pepper. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- While the broth is simmering, cut the flour tortillas into 2" wide strips. Bring the broth to a rolling boil and drop the "dumplings" into the pot one or 2 at a time. Put a lid on the pot and lower the temperature so the dumplings continue to simmer but do not stick. Cook covered for 30-40 minutes. Stir the broth and dumplings gently and add the chicken. Taste for salt and pepper and add according to you taste. Add 1 cup of milk and Simmer 15 minutes more. Turn off the heat and let the dumplings rest about 30 minutes before serving.
- The dumplings should be soft and tender but not falling apart. If your broth is not thick enough for your taste, stir about 1 Tablespoon of plain flour into 1/2 cup of cold milk and blend to remove any lumps. Add to the pot and continue to simmer for about 15 minutes. The dumplings will thicken as they cool so if you have time to wait, they will thicken up on their own.
- Serve in wide soup or gumbo bowls with your favorite vegetable on the side or a nice salad and your favorite bread. So satisfying on a cold night.
- * Note: Select tortillas with a high fat content and as thick as you can find in your grocery store. Low fat tortillas will not work successfully. Leftovers should be heated very slowly to avoid scorching and a little milk or chicken broth used to thin the broth if needed. These will be very thick when cold. I find microwaving individual portions works well. You never have to tell anyone your secret and you'll never need to roll dumpling dough again.