Easy and Delicious Sweet and Sour Chicken
Photo by me.
- boneless skinless chicken breasts (4 if small)
- 1 Tbl.
- vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup
- packed dark brown sugar
- 3 Tbl.
- (20 oz.) can pineapple chunks in heavy syrup; or in juice is fine, too
- 1/3 cup
- white or rice vinegar
- 1 Tbl.
- soy sauce, i use low sodium
- of an 8 oz. box frozen sugar snap peas, or can use pea pods, optional
- (8 oz.) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- baby corn ears packed in water, rinsed and drained, or can use frozen (thaw)
- red or green bell pepper, diced large, optional
How to Make Easy and Delicious Sweet and Sour Chicken
- 1Cut up chicken breasts, however many you'd like in there (about 1 pound is good), and saute in large deep skillet with oil til done. About 10 minutes depending on how you cut them. Remove to a bowl and cover to keep warm and moist. Drain and wipe out skillet with a paper towel. Mix brown sugar and cornstarch in skillet. Stir in pineapple (with syrup), vinegar and soy sauce. Over medium heat, heat til boiling and thickened stirring constantly. You'll know when the sauce is done because it will turn dark and clearish and thicken quickly. VERY easy so don't worry. Reduce heat. Add chicken and water chestnuts (drained), cover and simmer over low heat about 10 minutes, stirring ocaisionally.
Stir in pea pods and baby corns and continue to cook 5 minutes longer, uncovered, stirring ocaisionally and gently. *If you'd like, you can add a small can of mandarin oranges (DRAINED) to this at this point. But just fold them in and serve immediately. I like them in there, but they do tend to water down the sauce a bit, so be careful if adding them. BARELY fold them in and serve right away. *Bell peppers are also very good in this, I LOVE it in there myself!! I add it at the beginning when cooking and thickening the sauce. So, just add whatever vegetables you like.
Serve all over cooked rice.
*This is also REALLY good with meatballs instead of chicken. And I imagine, leftover chunks of pork roast or baked ham could also be used.