Deep-Dish Chicken Pie1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
5 lbbroiler fryer, cut up
2 largecarrots, sliced
1 largecelery rib, sliced
3/4 lbonions, small white
1.75 chalf and half or light cream
1 pkglima beans
How to Make Deep-Dish Chicken Pie
- In 5-quart dutch oven or saucepot over high heat, heat chickens, pepper, marjoram, 4 cups water and 2 teaspoon salt to boiling.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 35 minutes or until chicken is fork-tender.
- When chicken is done, reserve 1 cup broth. Cool chicken until easy to handle; remove and discard bones and skin; cut meat into 1" pieces.
- In 3-quart saucepan over high heat, heat carrots, celery, onions and reserved 1 cup chicken broth to boiling.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 10 minutes or until vegetables are almost tender.
- Remove from heat.
- With slotted spoon, remove vegetables to medium-sized bowl.
- In small bowl, blend 1/2 cup flour with 3/4 cup half-and-half; gradually stir into broth in saucepan; stir in remaining half-and-half.
- Over low heat, cook, stirring until sauce thickens slightly.
- Stir in chicken, cooked vegetables, thawed lima beans, mushrooms and 1 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Spoon mixture into 13x9" baking dish.
- Prepare pastry: In medium-sized bowl, stir 3 cups all-purpose flour and 1 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- With pastry blender or two knives used scissors
fashion, cup shortening into flour to resemble coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle about 1/2 cup water, a tablespoon at a time, into flour mixture, mixing lightly with a fork until pastry is just moist enough to hold together; shape pastry into a ball.
- On lightly floured surface with floured rolling pin, roll two-thirds of dough into 15x11" rectangle.
- With knife, cut several small slits in center of pastry.
- Place pastry loosely over chicken mixture.
- Trim pastry edge, leaving 1" overhang; fold overhang under and press gently all around baking dish to make a high stand-up edge.
- Roll and cut remaining dough to make decorative design for top of pie.
- In cup, beat egg yolk with 1 teaspoon water.
- Brush pastry with egg-yolk mixture.
- Bake pie in 350 oven 1 hour or until crust is golden and chicken mixture is heated through.