Debi's Creamy Chicken Casserole
- 1 pkg
- fresh mushrooms, sliced thin
- fresh or jarred garlic, minced
- 1 medium
- onion, chopped
- 12 oz bag(s)
- wide egg noodles
- 1/2 c
- 1/2 c
- 5 c
- milk, room temperature
- 8 oz
- cream cheese, room tempreture
- 3-4 c
- cooked chicken, chopped or shredded.
- 1-10oz bag(s)
- frozen peas
- salt and pepper to taste
- shredded parmesan cheese
- 3-4 Tbsp
- butter (to sauté onions, mushrooms and garlic)
- 3-4 Tbsp
- olive oil (to sauté onions, mushrooms and garlic)
- 2 c
- panko bread crumbs
How to Make Debi's Creamy Chicken Casserole
- 1Sauté mushrooms in 3-4 Tbls of butter and olive oil on medium heat in a large skillet. Add a little salt so they give off their water. After water is evaporated, add in chopped onions and sauté until onions are opaque and mushrooms are golden brown. Add in chopped garlic and sauté a couple more minutes. Set aside.
- 2Boil noodles to al dente and and drain. Leave in about a cup of the pasta water in the pot with the noodles so they don't stick together while you're making the yummy sauce.
- 3In a large Dutch oven add in 1/2 c butter and melt on medium heat. Sprinkle in flour and whisk until blended and cook for about a minute. It will be super thick, turn down to med/low. Slowly add room temperature milk and stir constantly. It will be thick and beautiful. Add more milk if it's too thick. Salt and pepper to taste. Add in room temperature cream cheese and half the parmesan cheese and whisk until combined. Season to taste. Add in noodles, frozen peas, mushroom, onions, garlic, and chopped or shredded chicken and stir until everything is coated. It should be very saucy. This makes a ton and you can easily split this into casserole pans and freeze one if you want to. I use the Pampered Chef 9X13 casserole pan. And it fills it to the top.
- 4Combine the Panko bread crumbs with the rest of the Parmesan cheese and sprinkle on the top.
- 5Bake 400 degrees 25 minutes or until bubbly. Turn on broiler and brown the top for about 5 minutes! Watch it close so they don't burn.