Dan Cota's Chicken and Dumplings
This is one of those recipes you are going to use some of the expensive spanish Saffron I told you to invest in.
I still remember eating these wonderful Chicken and Dumplings in the formal dinning with the big bay window over looking the circular driveway.
1raw kosher stewing chicken cut into pieces
1/2sprig of organic fresh organic rosemary, crushed between your hands
4threads of saffron
1clove of garlic, crushed
·freshly ground pepper to taste (i use a mix of pink, black and green)
1organic oregon myrtle leaf (you can use a bayleaf)
1 csifted organic all purpose flour
2 tspbaking powder
1/2 tspkosher salt
1/2 cwhole organic raw milk
How to Make Dan Cota's Chicken and Dumplings
- Large pan of water.
- Wash Chicken and pat dry.
- Rub checken with saffron. It will turn yellow.
- Add chicken to pan of water, the saffron, rosemary, garlic, kosher salt, myrtle leaf, onion and pepper. Add enough water to cover chicken.
- Slowly bring to boil and turn down to a simmer with the lip a jarred.
- Assemble the Dumpling dough. Mix all ingredients together well.
- When Chicken is 99% done, skim the fat off the broth and drop by Tablespoons full the dumpling dough into the Chicken broth.
- Cover the pan tightly and return to a slow boil. Reduce heat to a simmer.
- DO NOT LIFT lid.
- Simmer 12 to 15 minutes.
- Serve chicken and dumplings in the broth. Or serve Chicken and Dumpling with broth that has been thickened with a little flour.
- Sprinkle a little chopped parsely over the top of each serving.