Crock Pot Chicken and Yellow Rice
1Whole Chicken, rinsed and any giblets removed
1 can(s)Pigeon Peas
8 to 10 ozSofrito (the red one, jar or frozen)
1 qtChicken Broth
1/4 stickButter, or 1/4 c of olive oil
10 ozGreen Olives, pitted
32 ozYellow Rice Mix
·Badia Complete Seasoning, or any brand of complete seasoning
·pepper, onion powder, garlic powder to taste
How to Make Crock Pot Chicken and Yellow Rice
- Set the crock pot to low. Put washed chicken in crock pot.
- Pour in chicken broth about 1/4 of the way up the pot.
- Sprinkle the chicken with Complete seasoning, garlic powder and onion powder. Cover and let cook for about 6 hours til the meat is falling off the bone. You can flip the chicken over half way if you like.
- Once the chicken is done, turn it off and let it cool. Save the liquid in the crock pot. Take the cooled chicken out of the crock pot and remove all the meat from the carcass and chop. Discard all the skin, fat and bones. Put the meat aside.
- Add the packages of yellow rice mix to a large rice pot. In a measuring cup, first add all of the liquid from the crock pot, then fill the measuring cup up the rest of the way with water, or more chicken broth according to the directions on the rice bag. Add the liquid to the pot.
- Add drained pigeon peas, chopped chicken, drained olives and sofrito. Add butter or olive oil. Stir and bring to a boil. Stir again, cover and simmer on medium low heat for 25 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.