Company Chicken and Rice
4whole chicken breasts with bones
1medium onion chopped
1green pepper chopped
1stalk celery chopped, leaves and all
dash(es)s & p
4 clovechopped garlic, separated
2 cwhite long grain rice
How to Make Company Chicken and Rice
- boil the chicken breasts in the water with 1/2 of the chopped garlic and all celery until fully cooked, drain and reserve the liquid/broth. Allow the chicken to cool. You can do this the night before if you want to.
- Add 4 cups of broth to a pan, add rice and bring to a boil, then turn down to a simmer, cover the pan. Simmer until the rice is cooked and tender.
- add 1/2 cup butter to large skillet add the onion, green pepper S&P, remaining garlic and start to saute.
- Shred the chicken breasts from the bone and chop into bite size pieces place in the large skillet with the veggies. (electric skillet works great for cooking and serving)
- Add remaining 1/2 cup butter and cooked rice to the chicken. You may want to add more broth if it is dry.
- Here is the easy method replacements - You may use instant rice which cuts down on the cooking time. (follow the box directions but use broth not water)
Use a rotisserie chicken meat picked from the bones, 3 cans of chicken broth (or a large container) The butter adds such a delicious flavor I would keep that in the recipe.
- Gently stir and allow the flavors to mingle for about 10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with parsley or thyme.