By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
- 1 oz
- bacon, cut into 1/2" and diced
- 1 Tbsp
- peanut oil
- 3 lb
- chicken, skin and fat removed, cut in 8 pieces
- "just a pinch" of salt
- "just a pinch" of pepper
- 4 large
- onions, thinly sliced
- garlic clove, finely chopped
- 3/4 c
- apple cider, hard
- 1/3 c
- prunes, pitted
- parsley sprigs
- fresh sprigs of thyme
- bay leaves
How to Make Cider Chicken
- 1Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- 2In a deep ovenproof skillet with a lid, brown bacon over medium-high heat, about 3 minutes, and transfer to paper towels to drain. Pour off any fat in the pan.
- 3Add 1/2 tablespoon of the peanut oil to the pan and brown chicken over high heat, about 3 minutes per side.
- 4Transfer the chicken to a plate, season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- 5Add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil to the pan, reduce heat to low and add onions. Cook stirring occasionally, until the onions are very tender and golden, about 25 minutes.
- 6Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- 7Pour in cider and brandy and bring to a boil. Add prunes, bouquet garni and the reserved bacon and chicken.
- 8Cover and bake until the chicken is very tender and no longer pink inside, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- 9Remove the bouquet garni. Taste and adjust seasonings before serving.
- 10VARIATION: 2 3/4 cups sparkling dry apple cider may be substituted for 2 3/4 cups hard apple cider.