By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
1 ozbacon, cut into 1/2" and diced
1 Tbsppeanut oil
3 lbchicken, skin and fat removed, cut in 8 pieces
·"just a pinch" of salt
·"just a pinch" of pepper
4 largeonions, thinly sliced
1garlic clove, finely chopped
3/4 capple cider, hard
4fresh sprigs of thyme
How to Make Cider Chicken
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a deep ovenproof skillet with a lid, brown bacon over medium-high heat, about 3 minutes, and transfer to paper towels to drain. Pour off any fat in the pan.
- Add 1/2 tablespoon of the peanut oil to the pan and brown chicken over high heat, about 3 minutes per side.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate, season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil to the pan, reduce heat to low and add onions. Cook stirring occasionally, until the onions are very tender and golden, about 25 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in cider and brandy and bring to a boil. Add prunes, bouquet garni and the reserved bacon and chicken.
- Cover and bake until the chicken is very tender and no longer pink inside, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Remove the bouquet garni. Taste and adjust seasonings before serving.
- VARIATION: 2 3/4 cups sparkling dry apple cider may be substituted for 2 3/4 cups hard apple cider.